Saturday, June 13, 2009

a boat called pain on a sea of tears

Incessant, unabated, enduring. Any combination of adjectives fails to convey the breadth and depth of the pain I am experiencing. If I had the courage to bang my head against a wall, perhaps I would knock myself out long enough to have some respite from this encompassing pain.

For 10 days now I have experienced near-constant pain in my head. I have seen two doctors, a homeopath, and an optometrist. I am currently taking two pain-killers, and a dozen homeopathic remedies. Nothing seems to be working. The pain-killers work for about a day each and then stop. A migraine abortive did nothing, acupuncture worked for about 2 minutes. I have had my eye-brain function tested (it's in the normal range), had a blood test on Friday (results tomorrow) and a CT scan booked for Monday morning.

I don't care what the problem is, I just want the pain to end. I am managing about 5-6 hours sleep per night, having trouble falling asleep and waking every few hours.

I find it fascinating, that a language as rich and diverse as English, with a seemingly endless supply of synonyms, and the only accurate descriptor for pain, is... pain.

No comments: